Hurricane and Tropical Storm Tips
With Hurricane Dorian approaching, we are here to give you a couple of tips to be prepared for the storm. Being prepared can help you minimize the impact of the storm.
1. Plan your evacuation route well ahead of time.
You may have to evacuate in the event of a major storm.
Ayden Middle School - 192 W 3rd Street, Ayden, NC 28513
E.B. Aycock Middle School - 1325 Red Banks Rd, Greenville, NC 27858
Farmville Middle School - 3914 Grimmersburg St, Farmville, NC 27828
Hope Middle School - 2995 Mills Rd, Greenville, NC 27858
Wellcome Middle School - 3101 N Memorial Dr, Greenville, NC 27834
2. Put together an emergency kit
- Batteries (pack enough and extra)
- Prescription Medicines
- Food - canned
- First-aid supplies
- Battery Powered Radio
- Water - Enough for at least 3-5 days
3. Home inventory
Take inventory of your possessions to speed up the claim process for insurance.
4. Review insurance policies
Make sure you understand and ensure that you are covered in case an emergency.
5. Take steps to protect your home, family and car(s).
- Hire a professional or DIY - Cut weak branches or trees
- Bring in any plants in pots
- Clear yard of any loose objects like bikes, lawn furniture, grills, etc.
- Fill water containers in case you lose water supply during a storm.
- Fill up sinks and bathtubs for water for washing.
- Never leave dogs or animals outside.
- "Pets or other non-service animals are not allowed in general population shelters. Emergency animal sheltering options are available through Pitt County Animal Services. Priority given to pets truly in need of EMERGENCY sheltering. Pet owners are encouraged to call 252-902-1725 in advance of dropping off animals." (Pitt County NC Weather Alert) Shelter Hours: Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm | Friday - Sunday: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm (depending on intake, hours may be reduced)
- Fill car gas tank.
- Move cars in garage or under shelter.